What I Learned After A Facebook-Free Weekend
Facebook is a problem for me. I admit it.
On the phone.
While watching TV.
Waiting for dinner to cook.
While eating dinner.
While brushing my teeth.
Waiting in line for anything.
Anytime I find an idle moment, including idling at a stoplight, I'm checking, checking checking.
We don't know to be bored anymore. I certainly haven't.
Thing is, I didn't like the person I was with all this checking. I also, have more pressing shit to do, that's not getting done.
I'm working on a book. I asked myself if checking Facebook is helping me reach my goal of getting my little book done and out into the world.
I decided to have a Facebook-free weekend to see how I felt. I had no other goal than this.
I removed the icon from my accessible apps on my phone on Friday afternoon and headed into the weekend.
Here's what happened:
- I noticed that J has a really hairy back. Like really hairy. Blond, hairy beast.
- I breathed deeper. Have you ever noticed you hold your breath when you're scrolling or waiting for a webpage to load?
- I talked to not one, but two moms at T's ballet class
- I'm halfway through reading this. Which is inspiring me to keep disengaging from Facebook and general time-wasting online activities.
- I colored, in this, and didn't freak out when the kids wanted to color in it too....OUTSIDE of the lines!
- I was bored! At stoplights, in line at Target
- The kids had an unobstructed view of my face and not my eyelids from looking down on the phone
- I learned I want to open the F-book and scroll when I'm feeling grumpy
Before you're all like, "whoah, she didn't check Facebook all weekend!" please know I cheated twice.
First, to get an address for an event, and second, when I got in line at the drive-thru bank and it was six cars deep...on a Sunday, the walk up was locked, it was hot and I was pissy.
I'm not going to go as far and say I'm quitting Facebook. Let's not get crazy now. But I am setting healthy limits.
Cause I got shit to do.
What will you notice when you stop scrolling for a weekend?
PS - I've intentionally disabled comments. So you can toss your phone aside and go do something else.